Volunteer Storytelling Intern
TreePeople is a non-profit organization that unites the power of people, trees, and nature-based solutions to grow a sustainable Los Angeles. Our mission is to inspire, engage, and support people to take personal responsibility for the urban environment, making it safe, healthy, fun and sustainable and to share the process as a model for the world. TreePeople was founded forty years ago by a teenager and is responsible for planting more than 2 million trees in Los Angeles mountains, streets, schools and neighborhoods.
The Volunteer Storytelling Intern will work with the Communications and Volunteer Management Departments to engagingly and succinctly tell the stories of TreePeople volunteers and their experiences. The goal is to inspire others to become involved or deepen their involvement with the organization. The Intern will interview these volunteers, get a photograph or video footage of them, and create short vignettes – either in text or video – to be published on TreePeople’s website, blog and/or social media, as well as for other uses such as fundraising and education. TreePeople organizes and manages around 10,000 diverse volunteers annually. Volunteers support TreePeople and the Los Angeles community through tree planting, tree care, mountain restoration, outreach, photography, nursery, and office support.
Director, 40th Anniversary Initiative
- Meet bi-monthly with Communications and Volunteer team to identify story possibilities and goals.
- Connect with volunteers to get permission to interview, photograph, possibly videotape, and tell their stories.
- Coordinate logistics to set up the interview and arrange for photography or videography.
- Interview volunteers, transcribe the interviews, and draft stories.
- Meet with Communications team to determine story placements.
- Draft stories for specific media platforms.
- Work with Communications team on editing, publishing, and sharing stories.
- Proven ability to write succinct and compelling human interest vignettes.
- Photography and/or videography skills a plus.
- Knowledge of social media, website, and blogging “best practices.”
- Ability to work independently, manage the logistics of interviews, including possible travel various locations.
- Excellent communications and human relations skills.
- Dependability and ability to adhere to deadlines.
Type of Position
Part-time, unpaid internship 4 - 8 hours per week. School credit available. Length of internship is ideally 3 – 4 months, but can be customized to the candidate’s and organization’s interest.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Nicole Liner-Jigamian at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.