Ecological Restoration Intern
TreePeople's mission is to inspire the people of Los Angeles to take personal responsibility for the urban forest - educating, training and supporting them as they plant and care for trees and improve the neighborhoods in which they live, learn, work, and play. We work to help nature heal our cities in the neighborhoods, schools, communities and mountains of the greater Los Angeles area. Our office is located in Coldwater Canyon Park between the Los Angeles basin and the San Fernando Valley.
The practice of ecological restoration encompasses a wide scope of projects including: erosioncontrol, reforestation, the use of genetically local native species, removal of invasive non-native species, revegetationof disturbed areas including oak woodlands- native grasslands- riparian zones- and chaparral/coastal sage scrub, shading streams, reintroduction of native species, as well as habitat and range improvement for targeted species.
Wildland Restoration Manager and Senior Manager of Mountain Forestry
- Adopt and create projects in wildland areas of the Santa Monica Mountains, specifically Lower Topanga State Park.
- Support the Mountain Restoration program at weekly events.
- Work independently and with volunteers and TreePeople employees in restoration zones.
- Learn greenhouse/nursery procedures, inventory, etc.
- Available some week AND weekend days (schedule may be tailored to the individual).
- Must have own transportation, preferably a car or truck with capacity to transport tools and supplies.
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Related field experience and or education.
- Must take Santa Monica Mountains Restoration Supervisor training.
- Needs an understanding of Mediterranean ecosystems, familiarity with the Santa Monica Mountains, or an intense commitment to quickly learn both, including local native plant species.
Type of position
Part-time, unpaid internship, minimum 4 month commitment and 20 hours (flex) per week.
How To Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Mollie Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.